Peugeot Forums - Peugeot Fan Club

How to determine the antifreeze-water ratio

Homepage » PEUGEOT MODIFIED PLATFORM » General
08.05.2020 16:30 # 1
koliva
I have come across this question a lot, both from the forum and from there. So I wanted to make it a permanent document. Before I start the subject, important information: Antifreeze is an extremely toxic substance. Because taste is sugary, it is the center of attention for children and animals. If it is administered even in a small amount, it affects the central nervous system and may end in death. According to a study, it is due to poisoning of 10.000 cats and dog attacks each year. Recycling processes of the vehicles must be done absolutely and absolutely and they should not be touched to the garden, water channel and sewage. Today, almost every antifreeze is based on glycol. There are basically two different glycols: ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. Both types of glycol can be used in vehicles. Since the production of ethylene glycol is cheaper than the other, ethylene glycol is generally used as antifreeze. Now, let's call the answer to the question of what percentage of the antifreeze we will use in our vehicles - what percentage of water mixture should be. On the contrary, antifreeze rate of 60-70% in cooling water provides much more harm than good. Let's take a look at the graph below: X axis gives the water rate in the cooling water. So while X is zero, Y value (freezing point) is 32 Fahrenheit. Since this research is conducted in the USA, Fahrenheit is used as the temperature metric. It corresponds to zero degrees in the temperature metric we use, which is something we know. So pure water freezes to zero. As you can read from the graph, as I increase the antifreeze rate in my mixture, that is, move towards the right on the X axis, the freezing point decreases because the antifreeze rate in the mixture is increased. As you can see, the lowest freezing temperature is around -90 degrees Fahrenheit, where the antifreeze rate is not even 70%. After this point, the freezing temperature rises. Link of the pictures: http://tinyurl.com/3fn4743 On the other hand, the antifreeze mixture also increases the boiling point of the coolant. This can be clearly seen as follows: Now you can ask about the presentation here. I want protection against freezing down to -40 degrees. As you can extract from the graphic above, the value of -40 Fahrenheit = -40 Celcius cuts our curve at two points. So you can achieve -40 degrees protection with about 50% antifreeze, 50% distilled water mixture. In the same way, we can achieve this protection with approximately 90% antifreeze, 10% water mixture. So why should I choose 50% antifreeze instead of my mixture of 90% antifreeze? The reason is that besides the freezing point-boiling point parameters, another parameter that interests us plays a role, which is the heat transfer parameter. Let's look and conclude the following graph: Water is a fact that 100% distilled water, if we put aside the disadvantage of the best cooling water boiling and freezing points. Because water is the substance that provides the best heat transfer. In the graphic above, the X-axis shows the mixture's temperature, and the Y-axis shows the heat-transfer ability of the mixture (the higher the better). The top curve shows the behavior when using 100% distilled water in my mixture. The graph shows that when it is left on the X axis, it reaches freezing for 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees) and reaches the boiling point for 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees) on the right. Now let's take a look at where the 50% antifreeze mixture graph cuts the freezing graph and the atmospheric boiling point graph and at which heat transfer values. The 50% antifreeze mixture cuts the freezing point at approximately 0.70. This means that this mixture has lost its ability to transfer heat by 30%. The reason for this is that antifreeze is more fluid than water and heat transfer is not as good as water. I am leaving you to interpret the 100% antifreeze mixture curve. The graph below shows the thermal conductivity characteristics of the mixtures. So we can understand the presentation from this. Heat is an energy and the heat generated in the engine must be transferred to the coolant and this energy must be transferred to the radiator along with the coolant. In this way, cooling should take place. As it can be easily removed from the graphic below, the thermal conductivity of a cooling water consisting of only distilled water increases as the temperature increases, which is exactly what is desired. The graph of my wife consisting of 100% antifreeze shows the presentation that the heat transfer decreases as the temperature increases. From the chart below, you can easily reach the point of view. Let's take a look at what happens at around 180 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the general operating temperature of our vehicles. The 100% antifreeze mixture transmits 64% less heat than 100% distilled water. This is 38% less than the 50% antifreeze mixture. In other words, as a summary of all these statements, as the temperature increases, the dispersed water heat transfer ability increases, while this ability antifreeze decreases. However, while aiming for maximum freezing-boiling point protection in the mixes, it is tried to reach this goal by using minimum amount of antifreeze. In other words, antifreeze at a rate of 100% should never be put into the vehicle. The antifreeze rate in the mixture should not exceed 60-70%. In our country, we usually use 50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water.
08.05.2020 16:30 # 2
06OzGuR06
A truly necessary and scientific sharing & nbsp; thanks "Smile"
08.05.2020 16:30 # 3
AydinBeyol
thanks for the helpful sharing.
08.05.2020 16:30 # 4
yavuz25
Thanks, I just got a new piece of information. It was very useful. "Wink"
08.05.2020 16:30 # 5
ose
Good health work to your hand.